Friday, November 8, 2013

The Stories Behind Ethan Russell's Unforgettable Music Photos Of John And Yoko, The Who, Rolling Stones, Jim Morrison)

Norman Wong's Arts & Crafts Records Photos


Feist, Broken Social Scene and more...


John Lennon & Yoko Ono by Ethan Russell, Weybridge England, 1968 ("Falling In Love" series)


“I showed up at the house and it seemed like nobody was there. The door was unlocked, so I just walked in. Yoko eventually came downstairs. They had only been together about eight months at this point. They put on black capes, which is certainly not something I would have ever told them to do. In this photo, I love that they’re basically one item in black. It’s a nice little moment, and not a picture that’s been seen a whole lot.” -Ethan Russell, photographer


The Who by Ethan Russell, 1971


Backstage. Photographed for the back of "Who’s Next".


The Rolling Stones by Ethan Russell, England, 1969


The Rolling Stones “Through The Past Darkly,” album cover that didn’t make the final cut, but certainly makes for an epic photo.


John Lennon & Yoko Ono by Ethan Russell, Weybridge England, 1968


John Lennon serenades Yoko Ono. (From the “Falling in Love” series.)


The Who by Ethan Russell, Rehearsals for the Quadrophenia tour, England, 1973


“What I remember most from this is that Pete and Roger were having a fight about the mirrors that you see behind them,” says [Ethan] Russell. “Pete’s idea was they were going to project some filmed footage onto them. It was sort of avant-garde and maybe smart. Roger said, ‘People come to see us, right? It should just be us against a black background.’ The reality is they were both right.”


The Who by Ethan Russell, "Who's Next" album cover, England, 1970


“We’re driving along and I see these shapes out of the corner of my eye. At that moment Pete asked if I had any ideas. I don’t know why he asked at that moment, but I told him there were these shapes back there. Everybody turns around and we walk out onto this slag. I look up after a minute and Pete’s pissed on it. I started taking pictures. The others couldn’t piss, so we filled old cans with water and dumped it on the thing. I took maybe 14 pictures. Today, I’d take about 400. It was nothing like today. No art directors. No stylists. No nothing. It was off to the record company in two days.” -Ethan Russell, photographer


John Lennon by Ethan Russell, Weybridge England, 1968


"Sometimes I am asked who was my favorite artist; my answer is John Lennon. That is partly because I felt, of all of them, he didn’t lose his attention to our common humanity as the central focus." -Ethan Russell, photographer.


Jim Morrison by Ethan Russell, 1969


Jim Morrison at Press Reception prior to The Doors’ appearance at London’s Roundhouse.


Keith Richards by Ethan Russell, 1972 US Tour


“Much changed from 1969 to 1972. Now the Stones had a logo and a plane. Security was vastly heightened, and they travelled everywhere in limousines. You can feel the armour.” -Ethan Russell, photographer


The Rolling Stones by Ethan Russell, 1972


Keith Richards with Jack and Coors, 1972.


RARE BEATLES PHOTOS


Rare Beatles Photos


Rare Beatles Photos


(2nd left - right) George Harrison, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney during The Beatles first tour of the United States (1964).


Rare Beatles Photos


Paul McCartney during The Beatles first tour of the United States.


Rare Beatles Photos


John Lennon during The Beatles first tour of the United States.


Rare Beatles Photos


George Harrison (left) and Ringo Starr during The Beatles first tour of the United States.


Rare Beatles Photos


The Beatles performing during their first tour of the United States


Rare Beatles Photos


Ringo Starr during The Beatles first tour of the United States (1964).


Rare Beatles Photos


John Lennon during The Beatles first tour of the United States in 1964


Rare Beatles Photos


The Beatles during their first tour of the United States (1964).


Rare Beatles Photos


George Harrison (left) and John Lennon performing during The Beatles first tour of the USA in 1964.


Rare Beatles Photos


George Harrison during The Beatles first tour of the United States in 1964.


Rare Beatles Photos


Paul McCartney (left) and John Lennon performing on stage during The Beatles first tour of the United States in 1964.


Rare Beatles Photos


Paul McCartney during The Beatles first tour of the United States.


Rare Beatles Photos


Paul McCartney during The Beatles first tour of the United States (1964).


Rare Beatles Photos


Paul McCartney during The Beatles first tour of the United States (1964).


Rare Beatles Photos


Paul McCartney (left) and George Harrison during The Beatles first tour of the United States in 1964.


Rare Beatles Photos


Ringo Starr during The Beatles first tour of the United States in 1964.


Rare Beatles Photos


John Lennon during The Beatles first tour of the United States in 1964.


Rare Beatles Photos


Auctioneer Paul Fairweather holds four colour transparencies of The Beatles taken during their first tour of the USA in 1964.


Leslie Feist at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto (2005)


I started off being Broken Social Scene's junior videographer sometime in 2005, and I started to try out photography right after. This was one of my first photos I've taken at the start of interest.


Broken Masics Scene in Toronto (2006)


One of Kevin's lifelong dreams when he decided to become a musician was to play next to J Masic's of Dinosaur Jr. I framed this photo for him as a gift that year to mark that achievement.


Brendan Canning (2007)


I have a very special relationship with Brendan as him and his partner at the time Sarah Haywood were the ones who introduced me to the A&C family. He is definitely family to me. I would hang out a lot at his house during this period and would often watch him play his piano and spin his amazing collection of hip-hop records.


Broken Social Scene (2008)


Broken Social Scene did a special last-minute friends and family rehearsal jam session at The Dakota Tavern in Toronto. This photograph was taken then and later was used as their main press photo for a while. It's one of my favorite photographs I've taken of them and I believe it best represent them as a group in their comfort zone. Members of The Police were right behind Andrew Whiteman watching show.


The Hidden Cameras (2009)


This was one of my first full commissions from A&C, for The Hidden Camera's record "Origin:Orphan." It was one of the more frustrating, but also the most rewarding experiences I have had working with a band. Joel Gibb became a special friend after this production.


Broken Social Scene at the Harbourfront on July 12, 2009


This was a monumental home show for the band, which reunited the three girls (Feist, Amy Millan, Emily Haines) for the first time in a while. It took place during the 2009 Toronto Garbage Strike, and was made into "This Movie Is Broken" by Bruce McDonald and Don McKellar. It was the best show I have personally ever seen the band play. This is a photo of Kevin, who jumped into the audience to watch his army of friends slam their anthem "Ibi Dreams Of Pavement." He is a proud man and I am, too.


Charles Spearin's Backyard Garage (2010)


This is a photograph of the entrance to the rehearsal garage where everything is done. This is what home to Broken Social Scene and Do Make Say Think looks like. Charlie is the grounding force behind the band and I admire him very much.


Last Day of Chemo (2011)


In 2011 I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer. At every moment when I needed it I had my family and friends around me. This was my last day of chemotherapy, and three of my good friends (Kevin Drew, Brendan Canning and Aaron Kopff) were there to help me ring that bell. Broken Social Scene and A&C are definitely friends who stuck by me during hard times. I can't be happier to have a clean bill of health.


TRUST (2012)


Robert Alfons and Maya Postepski made one of my favourite records of 2012. TRUST is one of many acts I love in Toronto today that represents a new chapter and generation in the thriving music community. This was a photo taken from a session I did for one of my favourite music magazines called 'SUP.


A&C 10 (2013)


This year I was asked to showcase my work for A&C to celebrate the label's tenth anniversary. We just launched a major photography exhibition showing all of my black and white portraits of the A&C artists over the years and also a major archive section showing all the intimate and performance shots over the years. I knew I had to sneak in a portrait of Marty Kinack in there to make fun of my own work and to also give the family of A&C a little treat. He is the man behind the sound for many of the A&C acts, mostly Broken Social Scene, Hayden, Stars and Feist.


No comments:

Post a Comment